Most of the engineering students aspire to do post-graduation from a reputed institution after clearing GATE exam. However, clearing the exam or getting at least the cut-off marks in this entrance exam is not that easy. So, in case you have not been able to score the marks required to get into the highly-esteemed institutions for M.Tech; then what options do you have?
Although you have the option of preparing for the exam once again but there is no surety that you will clear the exam next time, so listed below are some of the alternatives that you can choose as your career option if you plan to give up on GATE.
- You can try for the DCE, NSIT and NITs which are quite prestigious colleges and the cut-off required is not that high. In addition, there are colleges like VIT which conduct their own entrance exams; so you can appear for those exams too.
- A number of government organizations are there that have entrance exam syllabus same like that of GATE. DRDO, ISRO, SAIL, BARC, ESE, AAI, NPCIL, SSC-CGL etc. are some of the government organizations that you can join in order to have a secure, high paying and respectable career with high ranked designations.
- Several companies are there that conduct open campus interviews in institutions in which you can appear to get a well-paid job in an MNC.
- Alternatively, you can start a business or follow your passion for making a good life.
It is important for you to keep in mind that things always do not happen the way you want them to. However, a failure cannot hold you back for long and therefore; instead of worrying about you career you can follow the above mentioned tips to excel in life even without qualifying GATE.
However, if you have that zeal and confidence, you will definitely make it to the IITs by clearing GATE. GATE 2018 dates have been announced and the exam is scheduled to take place in the month of February, 2018. Since you have the syllabus already, you can start with the preparation as soon as possible. Take help of a tutor or a coaching center if required and refrain from making the same mistakes which you have done last time and there will be no looking back.
Getting an MBA degree from a reputed MBA college opens different avenues for students who want to make their career in the field of management. No wonder everyone seems to have a tag of being a Masters of Business Administration. However, many students pursue this course either for the glamor of the tag or because their peers are doing so. There are very few who actually make the decision of doing an MBA course for the merit of it.
There are two kinds of MBA aspirants:
- Those who want to pursue an MBA degree after their graduation through the CAT entrance exam.
- Those who have a few years of work experience under their belt and want to advance their career.
The two most common reasons for pursuing an MBA degree:
- Higher salaries
- Lucrative job opportunities
Whatever you state in your essays or interviews, the admission committee knows that the bottom line for doing an MBA course is one of these two. However, most of the aspirants forget that this is a short-term view. None of these will matter after a certain point once you are in the perfect job.
Therefore, you need to evaluate your desire to pursue an MBA degree and think of the reasons before investing your valuable time and money.
Let’s take a glance at the reasons to pursue and MBA degree:
- For the career push: Generally, you begin your career with an entry level position. Hard work, dedication, consistency, and smartness help get you all the promotions to reach the managerial role. Then, you begin to stagnate. You find yourself lost in the place where there are several others like you with good qualification and work experience struggle. What you need now is something that sets you apart from the herd. An MBA degree from a premier business school will be helpful. This will help you make the leap from a mid-level role to a senior management position.
- For the career change:There are very few chances of changing your career path with your current qualifications. When you realize that your passion lies in another field or you want to overcome the stagnation, an MBA will help you make the switch in careers very easily.
- For the Knowledge growth:A meeting of intellectual minds and an exchange of ideas is a better source of knowledge than any book or even browsing the internet. When you indulge in case studies, research papers and other such methods, you will find your knowledge base expanding.
- Brand Equity:Getting an MBA Degree is an achievement. But, an MBA degree from a reputed institution is a feather in your cap. Most of the HR personnel appreciate candidates who have an MBA degree from one of the top business schools, as accomplishing that is a task in itself. That makes it easier to get the job you’ve always aspired for with established brand equity.
- Growing from within:A stint in a business school gives you many things apart from education. It gives you the confidence in your professional life and provides valuable insight into your true calling. The classroom interactions give you the tools to deal with people. All of this can have a major effect in molding you into a better professional.
Top MBA Colleges
For those looking for a life changing experience, these are some of the top business institutes in India.
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) recruits candidates required for various posts in the banking sector. This is done through a common written exam and interview. The exams are divided into the preliminary and main examination. Candidates have to clear each round to qualify for the next.
The preliminary round is an online test. Candidates scoring above the cut off marks are eligible to appear for the mains. This works for the mains as well. Those who clear the mains cut off are eligible for the final interview round.
What is the IBPS cut off?
Every year, the IBPS announces the cut off for both preliminary and main examination. This is the minimum marks that a candidate must score to qualify for the next round.
Though this year’s cut off is yet to be announced, it is expected to be as follows.
- Preliminary examination cut off: 47.50.
The sectional cut off will be as follows:
- English: 07.00
- Reasoning Ability: 08.50
- Quantitative Aptitude: 08.25.
- Main examination cut off: 52.50
The sectional cut off will be as follows:
- English: 04.75
- Reasoning: 05.25
- Quantitative Aptitude: 06.50
- Computer Knowledge: 08.50
- General Awareness: 12.50
Both sectional and overall cut off are taken into consideration in order to gauge whether a candidate qualifies for the next round.
Factors deciding the cut off
These factors are taken into consideration by the IBPS before announcing the cut offs for every year.
- Difficulty level of the exam
- Last year’s recruitment statistics
- Previous years cut off versus the number of vacancies
- The number of applications received
How will the IBPS PO cut off in 2017 be calculated?
This is the procedure that is followed to calculate the IBPS PO cut off.
- The number of correct answers minus the negative marking.
- The minor differences are made equivalent to arrive at equated scores.
- The final scores are rounded off up to two points after the decimal scores.
- The ratio of marks of the mains and the interview for the final selection is 80:20. After taking into consideration the individual test scores and the total scores, the final selected candidates are revealed.
Mumbai is a dream destination for the engineering aspirants because it is home to some of the most coveted engineering colleges in India. Pursuing engineering is the most popular career choice among students. If you have also decided to do the same, then you must consider several factors to make the right decision for your career. So, the question is how you will decide the right stream and the engineering college to pursue engineering.
These guidelines can help you out:
- Zero in on the stream that you want to take up. This is the most crucial part. Let your interest decide this and not parental and peer pressure. After all, this interest is going to last for the life time if you are really passionate about making your career as an engineer. Decide a backup choice also if in case you do not get into your first choice of stream.
- Shortlist the engineering colleges in which you want to study engineering. The criteria should be as follows:
- Experienced faculty
- Fee structure
- Eligibility criteria
- Location and proximity
- Campus ambiance
- Placement track record
- A visit to the campuses of individual colleges that you have shortlisted will help you get a feel of what you are in for the next four years. Also, having a chat with alumni or current students will get you frank opinions of what they feel. This will help you in the selection process.
- There are some lesser-known engineering colleges which have pristine reputations, but not such a big ‘brand’ name. This also applies for some colleges that are well-known for certain streams more than others. Doing your research will help you to choose an ideal engineering college.
- Once you know the engineering college that meets your preferences, make sure you meet all its criteria for admission such as score in the entrance exam and the marks obtained in 12th This will help you to get in the merit list, and finally the seat in the college you always dreamed of.
Let’s take a glance at the top 20 engineering colleges in Mumbai in no particular order:
- Indian Institute of Technology
- Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute
- Institute of Chemical Technology
- Vivekananda Education Society’s Institute of Technology
- Sardar Patel College of Engineering
- Conceicao Rodrigues College of Engineering
- Thadomal Sahani Engineering College
- MCT’s Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology
- Mukesh Patel School of Technology Management and Engineering
- Dwarkadas J. Sanghvi College of Engineering
- J. Somaiya College of Engineering
- Vidyalankar Institute of Technology
- Thakur College of Engineering and Technology
- Rajiv Gandhi institute of Technology
- Padmabhushan Vasantdada Patil Pratishthan’s College of Engineering
- SNDT Women’s University
- Homi Bhabha National Institute
- St Wilfreds Institute of Technology
- Datta Meghe College of Engineering
Rajaram Shinde Degree College of Architecture
IBPS conducts various written exams to hire candidates in Indian Banks for the post of Officers and Clerks. The exam pattern for IBPS PO consists of prelims (pre), mains and interview. And both Pre and Mains have one section of English. Most of the students perform fairly well in Mathematics and Reasoning but are unable to clear the sectional cut off of English.
Here’s are the tips which are likely to help you clear the sectional cut off of English, so that you can utilize the remaining time during the exam on other subjects to clear the overall cut off of IBPS 2017.
- Clearing the sectional cut off is easy, and you can further improve your chances by looking at the previous year’s cut off. Scoring a maximum of 10 marks in Pre exam is more about avoiding negatives and taking up the question where you are certain about the answers.
- It is advised to choose ‘Cloze test’ to begin your exam with, as it is an easier section which requires the least amount of time. Also, the chances of scoring negatives here are low. Always try to choose the most apt answer in reference to the context. Sound knowledge on synonyms can be helpful here.
- You can come to reading comprehension after completing the ‘Cloze test’. The best trick to follow here is the reverse methodology, wherein you read the question first and then go back to comprehension to find the answers.
- It is advised to avoid answering the questions which ask for authors’ view or summary of the comprehension until you are too sure, as there are more chances of getting an incorrect answer in this case.
- Most of the students find it difficult to answer the vocabulary asked in such exams. Install a dictionary app in your Smartphone, read the editorial sections of newspapers and read classic novels – each will play its part in improving your vocabulary.
Apart from this, you can always stay alert and keep solving the sample papers in order to clear the cut off of IBPS PO 2017.
Every year approximately 14 lakh candidates appear for the JEE Mains exam, out of which hardly 1.5 Lakh make it to JEE Advance. People who do not succeed in the first go can try for the second and third time as each individual gets at least 3 chances. You can appear for the exam when you are in class 12 and twice more after passing class 12. But it is important to note that the 2 attempts need to be in successive years’ right after Class 12.
If you have not been able to score well in JEE Mains 2017 and you are planning to appear for the exam again in the next year; then you should follow the below-mentioned tips:
- You should start with a new and fresh approach. This is because if you prepare like a repeater, you may find the entire thing to become uninteresting and tiresome. You should always keep a positive attitude and keep yourself motivated and maintain your interest level in studies.
- Most of the candidates who are repeaters think that they will have to learn everything from scratch. Instead of looking at it in a negative way, you should try to evaluate how your previous knowledge can help you this time. You should not feel hassled and dejected.
- Before appearing for the exam the second time, you may also want to re-evaluate the support you are getting from the coaching centerand if you feel that something is lacking you may as well enroll into a new coaching center that has a good track record. You may also want to get updated notes and add on to the previous set that you may be having.
- Remember that only hard work will not help you to conquer the battle and so you must know how to work smart. This does not mean that you will use short cuts; instead,you should plan a schedule and follow that religiously. Also, now since you know the syllabus well, try to start with the topics where you think you need to focus and gradually move to the ones which you are good with.
- There is a popular phrase that says, ‘Practice makes a man perfect’ and this is something which you should follow to succeed. Solve the test papers of the previous years, take mock tests and brush up the topics often.
These tips will help you to succeed in the entrance exam and seek admission into the prestigious engineering colleges of India.
Tamil Nadu is a home to the finest engineering colleges in India. Coveted engineering colleges in this state produce quality engineers owing to their world-class course curriculum, facilities they offer, and the ideal ambiance they provide to their students. However, the decision about choosing an ideal engineering college to pursue engineering in your interested discipline should be taken only after conducting adequate research. Getting into one of the top engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu is every aspirant’s dream. Since the sole objective of getting into a good college is to acquire the necessary skills and expertise to excel as an engineer, there are certain key factors that one should keep in mind before finalizing the engineering college.
Fees Structure: Cost is crucial. Therefore, if coveted engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu do not fit your fee budget, then you should not be too stressed. Rather, you should try in other colleges and also find out about the available education loan options. If you have done well in your academics and also scored well in entrance examinations, check whether you can claim scholarships to reduce the financial burden to a certain extent. Also, before selecting an engineering college, make sure you analyze whether the fee is affordable for you or not.
Infrastructure: Before you decide on an engineering college, it is important to make a visit to the college and check out the infrastructure and facilities in the college. If possible, speak to the seniors and the alumni to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the college to avoid unpleasant surprises later.
Get Familiar WIth the Admission Process: To get admission in one of the top engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu, it is important you gain familiarity with the admission process in different colleges. There are certain reservations and quotas through which students can seek admission. If you are eligible and fall into any of the quotas, do not hesitate to claim the benefit and get admission in one of your dream engineering colleges.
Engineering Branch: Choosing an engineering college also depends a lot on the branch in which you wish to pursue engineering. Once you have decided upon the branch of engineering, start short listing the colleges that are well-known for that engineering branch.
Brand Value: If you have the name of one of the top engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu on your resume, it adds value to your professional career. Hence, aim to get admission in an engineering college that has better brand value.