Time Management is the key to be successful in most of the competitive examinations and especially for CAT it plays a very important role. 24 hours in a day might seem to be very less when you start your preparations for CAT but if you manage your time well then you will surely be able to prepare well for the examination.
The CAT paper carries a total of 300 marks and is divided into three sections and you have a total of 3 hours to complete it. So this means that you have a total of 60 minutes to complete each section. But if you have a proper strategy worked out in order to manage these three hours then you will surely be able to attempt maximum number of questions in this examination.
If you are interested to know about the different tips of effective time management then you can go through the list given below:
- It is important to make your own time management strategies
- It is also important for you to know about your weaknesses and strengths before you get into the examination hall. You should first attempt those questions through which you will easily be able to sail through. This examination will not give you any time to experiment.
- In order to do well it is important to score well in the Grammar section. So it is important that you spend some good amount of time in solving the different language related questions. Also spend some time practicing your creative writing skills.
- The Data Analysis and the Interpretation section of CAT needs a lot of practice too.
- If you want to do well it is also important for you to score well in the “Reasoning” section.
- To score well in CAT you must also have a strong vocabulary and that can be achieved only by reading a lot of books and journals.
- It is also important to memorize the different formulae to answer the numerical quickly.
- You must also learn the different tricks and techniques that will help you do well in LR and Quant.
If you want to appear for CAT in the year 2017, then you need to go through the CAT 2017 syllabus thoroughly and then work out a proper strategy that will help you to get a good grasp over all the subjects and also help you to attempt the maximum number of questions in CAT.
All those who are planning to appear for MBA entrance exams should ensure that they are preparing in the right way. This is because the candidates’ knowledge and comprehension ability and level of preparation eventually determine whether he/she can get an entry into the top MBA colleges in the country. As the dates for MBA entrance exams such as CAT, XAT, NMAT and MAT are coming closer; every candidate is trying to master the best techniques to score well in these exams. However, among all the preparation methods available, the best way to prepare for the entrance exam is to take mock tests.
Listed below are the advantages that mock tests offer:
- These help you to understand the structure and pattern of the entrance exam.
- These help you to develop your own tactic to attempt questions in the actual exam.
- These help you to know about the areas where you need to focus more.
- These help in improving your confidence and enriching your self-control before the actual exam.
- These increase your problem-solving and analytical skills.
- These can help you to develop time management ability and improve your complete performance during the actual exam.
However, before you take the mock tests, it is important that you know the CAT, XAT, MAT exam syllabus or other entrance as well. Moreover, before mock tests you should practice on your own by solving the previous years’ question papers. And, once you know the syllabus and topic well and you appear for mock tests you will be able improve your accuracy and speed.
Another thing that students often miss on is proper analysis of their performance in these tests. Some take as many as 50 mock tests but still they fail to qualify for the top-notch B-schools. This is because they do not analyze the mock test levels and understand the mistakes and areas of opportunities they need to work on. Therefore, it is important that after you take the first mock test, you analyze the mistakes you made, so that you do not repeat the mistake once again and try to focus on the areas of opportunity while preparing.
Whether you are taking the mock tests or actual exam, do not do any guesswork, conceptual errors or silly mistakes. If you take these mock tests seriously, you will also understand concepts in a better way and will be able to apply them during MBA entrance exams.
The GATE examination is also called the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering and is one of the toughest competitive examinations that is conducted on an All India level. This examination is conducted jointly by the 7 Indian Institutes of Technology and the Indian Institute of Science. This test is mainly conducted in order to test the practical knowledge of the students in the various Engineering subjects. The students who qualify in this examination are eligible to apply for the different post-graduation studies in Engineering and it is also a qualifying examination to apply for jobs in various Public Sector companies.
If you pursue your post-graduation degree after qualifying for GATE then you are entitled to enjoy a number of benefits and you can go through the discussion given below to understand it better:
- These days, several job openings are there in the IT sector but people often say that unless they have a specialized training or a Master’s degree, they are not given charge of projects. This is the reason, why most IT professionals just do not stop at B.Tech or B.E but go for further studies either in the field of business management or a master degree program in their engineering field itself.
- Most of the globally recognized companies have shifted their research and development wings to India and these sectors only hire those candidates who are either Master degree holders or are doctorates. Again, if you are interested to pursue the Junior Research fellowship program through CSIR then you have to qualify in the GATE examination. After pursuing this course you are eligible to pursue your PH.D from any reputed University.
- It has also been observed that there are a number of companies throughout the world who have been started by people who are Master degree holders. So pursuing a post-graduation degree also helps you to become an entrepreneur.
So, if you plan to pursue a post graduate degree in engineering, you must start preparing for GATE right away and the first thing that you must do is check online forums to understand the GATE Exam Pattern so you know which topics and sections to focus on, so you can score well in the exam.
There are a number of students throughout India who aspire to crack MAT to get into the top B-schools of the country. In order to do well in this examination it is important to have a concrete plan, a focused approach towards study and a lot of practice. Strong determination and will power are also two very important things that are necessary for you to crack the examination.
If you are appearing for MAT for the first time and want to know about some basic facts about this examination then you can go through the list given below:
- If you want you can either take this examination online or you can take it offline as well.
- If you are planning to appear for MAT via the CBT mode, then you can choose the date, the time and the center of the examination yourself.
- If you are appearing for the offline examination then it is important for you to carry the necessary stationary items with you. You will be provided with the OMR sheet in the test center itself.
- The B-schools who accept the MAT scores are either AICTE approved or are affiliated to other Universities.
If you can score well in MAT you get the passport to apply to over 600 B-schools in the country. As such it is essential that you put your best foot forward while preparing for the test as well as answering it. Here are a few good practices that can help you score well in MAT.
- Stay updated about the MAT syllabus and focus on topics that are very important from the exam perspective
- Prepare a realistic time table so you can devote enough time to studies as well as recreation.
- Solve a lot of previous year’s question papers to get a hand of the question paper pattern and to time yourself well
- Learn the tricks and short cuts that can help you in answering the numerical faster. Try to get a grasp of Vedic Mathematics as that really comes in handy for quick calculations.
The MAT 2017 Exam is scheduled for September 3 and the registration process will be over by August 25. With the exam just a month away, you really do not have much time in hand so you must really double up the efforts and finish with the topics left so you can start revising.
Most of the engineering students aspire to do post-graduation from a reputed institution after clearing GATE exam. However, clearing the exam or getting at least the cut-off marks in this entrance exam is not that easy. So, in case you have not been able to score the marks required to get into the highly-esteemed institutions for M.Tech; then what options do you have?
Although you have the option of preparing for the exam once again but there is no surety that you will clear the exam next time, so listed below are some of the alternatives that you can choose as your career option if you plan to give up on GATE.
- You can try for the DCE, NSIT and NITs which are quite prestigious colleges and the cut-off required is not that high. In addition, there are colleges like VIT which conduct their own entrance exams; so you can appear for those exams too.
- A number of government organizations are there that have entrance exam syllabus same like that of GATE. DRDO, ISRO, SAIL, BARC, ESE, AAI, NPCIL, SSC-CGL etc. are some of the government organizations that you can join in order to have a secure, high paying and respectable career with high ranked designations.
- Several companies are there that conduct open campus interviews in institutions in which you can appear to get a well-paid job in an MNC.
- Alternatively, you can start a business or follow your passion for making a good life.
It is important for you to keep in mind that things always do not happen the way you want them to. However, a failure cannot hold you back for long and therefore; instead of worrying about you career you can follow the above mentioned tips to excel in life even without qualifying GATE.
However, if you have that zeal and confidence, you will definitely make it to the IITs by clearing GATE. GATE 2018 dates have been announced and the exam is scheduled to take place in the month of February, 2018. Since you have the syllabus already, you can start with the preparation as soon as possible. Take help of a tutor or a coaching center if required and refrain from making the same mistakes which you have done last time and there will be no looking back.
Getting an MBA degree from a reputed MBA college opens different avenues for students who want to make their career in the field of management. No wonder everyone seems to have a tag of being a Masters of Business Administration. However, many students pursue this course either for the glamor of the tag or because their peers are doing so. There are very few who actually make the decision of doing an MBA course for the merit of it.
There are two kinds of MBA aspirants:
- Those who want to pursue an MBA degree after their graduation through the CAT entrance exam.
- Those who have a few years of work experience under their belt and want to advance their career.
The two most common reasons for pursuing an MBA degree:
- Higher salaries
- Lucrative job opportunities
Whatever you state in your essays or interviews, the admission committee knows that the bottom line for doing an MBA course is one of these two. However, most of the aspirants forget that this is a short-term view. None of these will matter after a certain point once you are in the perfect job.
Therefore, you need to evaluate your desire to pursue an MBA degree and think of the reasons before investing your valuable time and money.
Let’s take a glance at the reasons to pursue and MBA degree:
- For the career push: Generally, you begin your career with an entry level position. Hard work, dedication, consistency, and smartness help get you all the promotions to reach the managerial role. Then, you begin to stagnate. You find yourself lost in the place where there are several others like you with good qualification and work experience struggle. What you need now is something that sets you apart from the herd. An MBA degree from a premier business school will be helpful. This will help you make the leap from a mid-level role to a senior management position.
- For the career change:There are very few chances of changing your career path with your current qualifications. When you realize that your passion lies in another field or you want to overcome the stagnation, an MBA will help you make the switch in careers very easily.
- For the Knowledge growth:A meeting of intellectual minds and an exchange of ideas is a better source of knowledge than any book or even browsing the internet. When you indulge in case studies, research papers and other such methods, you will find your knowledge base expanding.
- Brand Equity:Getting an MBA Degree is an achievement. But, an MBA degree from a reputed institution is a feather in your cap. Most of the HR personnel appreciate candidates who have an MBA degree from one of the top business schools, as accomplishing that is a task in itself. That makes it easier to get the job you’ve always aspired for with established brand equity.
- Growing from within:A stint in a business school gives you many things apart from education. It gives you the confidence in your professional life and provides valuable insight into your true calling. The classroom interactions give you the tools to deal with people. All of this can have a major effect in molding you into a better professional.
Top MBA Colleges
For those looking for a life changing experience, these are some of the top business institutes in India.
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Jamshedpur
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) recruits candidates required for various posts in the banking sector. This is done through a common written exam and interview. The exams are divided into the preliminary and main examination. Candidates have to clear each round to qualify for the next.
The preliminary round is an online test. Candidates scoring above the cut off marks are eligible to appear for the mains. This works for the mains as well. Those who clear the mains cut off are eligible for the final interview round.
What is the IBPS cut off?
Every year, the IBPS announces the cut off for both preliminary and main examination. This is the minimum marks that a candidate must score to qualify for the next round.
Though this year’s cut off is yet to be announced, it is expected to be as follows.
- Preliminary examination cut off: 47.50.
The sectional cut off will be as follows:
- English: 07.00
- Reasoning Ability: 08.50
- Quantitative Aptitude: 08.25.
- Main examination cut off: 52.50
The sectional cut off will be as follows:
- English: 04.75
- Reasoning: 05.25
- Quantitative Aptitude: 06.50
- Computer Knowledge: 08.50
- General Awareness: 12.50
Both sectional and overall cut off are taken into consideration in order to gauge whether a candidate qualifies for the next round.
Factors deciding the cut off
These factors are taken into consideration by the IBPS before announcing the cut offs for every year.
- Difficulty level of the exam
- Last year’s recruitment statistics
- Previous years cut off versus the number of vacancies
- The number of applications received
How will the IBPS PO cut off in 2017 be calculated?
This is the procedure that is followed to calculate the IBPS PO cut off.
- The number of correct answers minus the negative marking.
- The minor differences are made equivalent to arrive at equated scores.
- The final scores are rounded off up to two points after the decimal scores.
- The ratio of marks of the mains and the interview for the final selection is 80:20. After taking into consideration the individual test scores and the total scores, the final selected candidates are revealed.